"Do not neglect your gift, which was given you . . ." 1 Timothy 4:14

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Feelings Follow Action

I’ve always liked September. The start of a new school year, new clothes, and best of all, a new notebook. I usually chose a blue fabric-covered one. By the end of the year, faded and frayed, it resembled a well-worn pair of jeans.

Now it’s a new blog, not a notebook. But I’m still a student and always will be. I study the craft of writing by reading books, going to conferences, and attending monthly meetings of my ACFW Chapter, WIN. I study the Bible, meeting on Wednesday nights for Disciple Bible Study II—Into the Word, Into the World.

Unlike in my youth, however, I don’t have the luxury of being a full-time student. My day job takes the best hours of the day, and often the best of me, leaving little energy or desire for hitting the keyboard and books. But I know a secret. Feelings follow action. If I wait until I feel like writing to write, it may never happen. However, if I jump in and write even though I don’t want to, I begin to enjoy it, and feel like writing more.

So, I make appointments with myself. A time to write. A time to read. A time to prepare for Disciple. I enter them in my PlannerPad—in ink. Makes me feel like it’s the first day of school and I have a new class schedule in my hand. A blueprint to success.

How do you make time for what’s important to you?

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your new blog, Cindy. I love that picture of you!!

    I'm like you in that there are times I have to make myself write--like when I'm on deadline and really tired and just want to read or watch tv. But a deadline is a powerful motivator, so we get take-out for dinner to save time and most everything else has to wait until that book is done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That picture captures you; very fun & has a secret :)

    Well, it seems as though I'm just like you when it comes to MAKING the time instead of trying to FIND the time for what is important...I schedule it in.

    Thanks for the link to the Planner Pad, I've never seen that before. You did an awesome job including links in your blog!

    If I don't get in my 30 minutes to an hour each morning (weekends are longer) with God & His Word, my day just never feels the same. I'm completely serious :) With His eyes & mind, instead of my own, I can do all things & I can see things as possible.
    In His love,
    Megan Lex
    www.lexgilmore.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for these resources. I am going to check them out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so neat, Cindy. It can be hard to juggle a day job with writing. You are gifted. Keep at it.

    ReplyDelete